Friday, October 10, 2014

Humidity



Metro Manila is humid.

I fully did not appreciate how humid this city is until I lived in temperate climes for three of the four Seasons.

Because it is so humid, food spoils quickly when left out of the refrigerator. A cold drink is always wet with condensation. And clothes rake forever to dry.

Also because it is so humid you can smell all the rotting garbage that anyone leaves anywhere outside.
Also due to inadequate infrastructure, common folk like to pee on cement walls. There's a walled street adjacent to a Jeepney terminal that turns into a giant urinal in the morning. And if there's no shower to wash away the smell... It positively reeks to pass by.  I imagine that it's what a medieval city would've smelled like. Since plumbing was not a thing back then.

Still there are positive effects to the humidity. I never need moisturizer. My lips don't chafe. I sweat buckets when I exercise outside.
I take the humidity for granted. I've learned to accept it's omnipresence in the city. And generally don't mind it. After all if it really bothered me, well...  That's what the air conditioning is for.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment